Click for Home Page Click for Contact Us Page Click for FAQ's Page Click for About Us Page Click for Sitemap Navigation
Main Menu

Chinese Silk Fan

Zhaoqing at Night - Seen from 7-Stars Lake and Crags

Employment in China
This page offers general advice regarding Employment in China (September 2008)
Normally, Expats who now live in China came on a short stay plan, and either Tourist or Teaching type visa. Then like myself - they decide they love this crazy Country so much, they decide to stay.
Later you find it difficult to find genuine advice regarding simple issues, such as: Marriage, Residency, or even getting a Driving Licence. You may also decide to work in China, if so -
This Section is for You!

Normally you will come to China with a Work Visa (Z) as supplied via the official Chinese Government Department you are to work for. New restrictions mean it is difficult to obtain a Work Permit once you are in China, even a personally requested extension
Full Details Here:


It is illegal to work in China without Permission!
This is normally a Z visa, but a D visa also bestows similar privileges. Both can also have dissimilar Residency Privileges., depending upon your personal circumstances

Casual Teachers Beware!
The rules have changed, and you can no longer legally teach in local schools for payment, using an L or F visa. The establishment must provide you with a Z visa as part of your agreement.

This also applies to Private Language Schools - which are a lot harder for authorities to check

Your F visa does not allow you to receive money directly from any Chinese Company inside China. Beijing does not include any money you are paid outside of China of course, and will usually turn a blind-eye to any 'Bonus' payment; as long as the sum is insubstantial and one-off. This is usually untraceable cash anyway's ... but this is only what I have been told 'unofficially' of course

China is very rightly proud to boast 'One Country, Two systems', and this may occasionally extend beyond politics related solely to Hong Kong and Macao...

However, be very aware that times are changing rapidly

I personally would never even consider receiving any payment in China. It is madness! All my income comes from overseas. In this regard, both Hong Kong and Macao are considered to be overseas Countries - but of course, they also have their own and similar rules. Be very careful, and get an official Z visa if you want to work (for payment) in China
This information is as supplied by the Chinese Embassy in UK, as dated 20th June 2008, and/or other reliable sources. Please check this information yourself as it may alter without notice, and whilst we try our best to ensure it is correct, please do not hold us responsible for any errors - this is intended as a simple guide only
Search this Website
Search Query
Our Friends
Excellent & Free Online Chinese Language Portal
Cantonese Sheik - Free Online Language Resources
Thousands of free print-friendly Chinese reference sheets, tests and revision aids.
Easy Learning format &
Listen to Spoken Words
British Foreign & Commonwealth Office
British Foreign Office

Resource and Advice for Travellers Worldwide
Chinese Embassy in UK
Chinese Embassy in UK

Information About China
International Relations
Visa & Consular
British Consulate General in China
UK Embassy in China

Information About UK
International Relations
Visa & Consular
Excel Education - Dedicated to Promoting International Languages, Cultural Exchange, and Understanding between Peoples Excel Education
Languages Courses
Study Abroad
Summer Camps
Information for Teachers
China Exploration and Research Society
Travel China Guide - Your First Call for Holidays and Information about China. Free Community resources, including City guides written by Foreigners who have been there
Page Navigation: Top of Page
Link to: - Excellent Hosting and Support Services
Image for Decoration only
    Copyright Webmaster @ ChinaExpats Links